 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 138
137  |  139
Subject:
No more flame mail! Please! :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:18:56 GMT

I may not be the sort of person who will always be the first to admit he
was wrong, but hey, aren't people allowed to make mistakes?

When I first saw the idea of a "secret" location in connection with an
advertised club, the concept made me somewhat nervous.  I asked a lot of
questions, and I appreciate the honesty and patience that many of you
people have shown me in addressing those points without actually taking
offense.  The rest of you know who you are.

For those of you who were offended by my remarks, I can only ask for
forgiveness for my prior naivete, because the idea that people would
just come around and swipe other people's LEGO at an event which was too
publicized simply had not occurred to me.  Since the majority of the
time spent at these meetings is just playing with LEGO, and when there's
that much LEGO out, there's gonna be some degree of chaos, and I can
clearly see how security would have been a concern, having attended a
meeting and seen how things ran.

Something which occurred to me last night, after I left the club was
that perhaps the best way to arrange for meetings which anyone *COULD*
attend would be to, instead of the more regular meetings being where
everyone brings some LEGO and we all get to play (indeed, such events
are a lot of fun and should not be gotten rid of), but getting
particular people within the club to do some sort of demonstration at
each meeting... show off their LEGO prowess, and give the attendees a
chance to examine and learn about the assorted models that the person
has made.  The chance of LEGO getting stolen would be substantially
reduced because generally only one person would be bringing any real
quantities of LEGO to that sort of meeting.  Further, this sort of
meeting opens up the concept of having guest-speakers... People who have
some connection with LEGO or have been to some special LEGO locale or
event and can tell others who may not have had a chance to go there what
it was all about via slide shows, home movies, videos, oral
presentations, etc.  Certainly at that sort of function, I doubt that
having unexpected people showing up would not pose too significant a
problem.  I realize that such meetings would be nowhere nearly as fun as
the ones where we all get to get our hands dirty, as it were, and play
with LEGO til our hands fall off, but I do believe that this sort of
idea could help the VLC to grow quite a bit.

I dunno... maybe I'm just nuts and should shut up now.

TTFN
Mark