 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8960
Re: 486-33 8Mb
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 03:03:51 GMT

ago.  I think I actually got Win95 to chug way on it for a while, but
nothing more recent is going to run on it.  (Well maybe some versions of
Linux, but it really hasn't even got enough power to make a useful
firewall.)  I mean if I was board enough, I might set it up to calculate
pi, and just leave it running, but surprisingly I'm just not that board.

Bored.  Bored!

Linux Router Project (LRP) will run on it just fine.

And a 486 will route packets using NAT just fine.  I used to run a 486/66 with
Nevod NAT1000 and Windows95 with like 5% CPU overhead and near complete
saturation on my cable line:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/pc330-index.html

But with dedicated 802.11+Ethernet routers going for $29 this week at
FutureShop...using a power hungry 486 for just NAT routing ALONE is not really
worth it.  It's a useful platform if you're going to run ftpd, a print server,
CDRom/fileserver (my old 486 used to host a quad disc NEC changer) but if you're
only running NAT, it's easier just to go with a dedicated box.

Giving it the old heave hoe into over the wall of the giant dumpster
will at least give me some brief enjoyment.  :-)

Reenact the SCTV opening credits!

Calum