 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8954
Re: 486-33 8Mb
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:29:06 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:

I got this 486 - 33Mhz with 8Mb RAM that taking up too much space and
all I can think of using it for is a boat anchor and forgetting to put a
rope on it.

So if anyone can think of a use for it, or would like to have it, let me
know.

You have until I make it to the large dumpster out back of my building.

Derek

At the very least donate it to the local school district or some other charity.

Sorry for barging in,
-Orion

that's a very noble thought... BUT

(start rant)

in the REAL cruel hard world, no one wants them.

I've got 2 or 3 guts to pentium 166 and "under" and the best i can hope for is some
one takes it from the trash pile come garbage day. (which people always have done)

its nice to say "donate" it to a school, or church group, but i can tell you with
100% accuracy that if you call the local church, the nice lady who answers will
probably say... thanks but no thanks.  same goes for the schools.  you have to
sweet talk a secretary into letting you talk to the computer teacher who will say
"...486, no thanks."

Kate's works at a children's day care and the only computers they want are ones
that run decent children's games.  otherwise the kids have no interest.  PLUS, you
cant just hand over a computer and say "Here; have a nice day"  and lets be a bit
more pessimistic and point out that derek is probably only offering a beige box,
NOT the monitor.  what is a school going to do with that??

sorry, its a nobel sentiment, but in practice, our society does not make it easy to
nicely dispose of old electronics.

I know that in about 10 min, Calum will post 14 links to places that WILL take your
old computer... but I'm sure they all have a catch.

(end rant)

Chris

derek, you can turn your 486 into a real nice router, WITH a printserver. with
nothing more than win95 and a sml prg called NAT.

its the best firewall router I've used.