 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 826
Re: Standardizing Car Designs, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 03:36:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:

1) Freight boxes:  Okay, we talked about this: 4x8x4 bricks, the
standard Lego freight container.  Don't assume that there are sides
to it, though!

Yes.  I've used to build them completely with 2x4 bricks.  I am now using a
body of 2x4 bricks but a bottom to fit the Lego design (ie, will sit into
cradle with the feet)

In fact, this is one way non Train people might be able to contribute, is to
build a few containers.  Ie, people without any train sets.  Build Cargo!

2) Freight cars:  I saw Calum's prototype, and it seems to me that
a robot is going to have trouble landing boxes precisely enough for
that car - the positions of the crates are fine, but we might have
to work on lowering the sides and making more error-firendly cars.

I've come up with a general idea:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/attach.jpg

The question is, Iain, do you need those cone guides to drop boxes?

3) Gravel/Whatever hopper cars:  Side tip or bottom-unloading?  I
don't care; I just put stuff in the cars.  Someone care to step up
to the task of designing a standard hopper car?

Side tip is easier.  No need for raised track.  I'd love to come up with
one, but I'm running out of time and need to start packing.  If someone
comes up with a design, make sure it's something VERY easy to "manufacture"
ie, with few nonstandard parts.  I did a quick check and have at fewest, 14
pairs of trainwheels (and couplers) to dedicate to 7 hopper cars.  I'd like
each car to only have two axles.  That way you can have many hopper cars.

I'll also be building another GP40 (in CN livery hopefully, Dave!) to pull
the hopper cars around.

but I want to know if it's been done before.  Mean time to failure
is important here - it'd be nice to have a dependable solution that
would only fail once in a hundred cars or less, and adapt to light
conditions, etc.

It would be really cool.

interfere.  So who is bringing RCXes?

I may bring one for an onboard switcher decoupler, it will have to use RCX
remote, so if you could allow this unit the most basic codes avail via the
remote.

Calum