 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 822
Re: Standardizing Car Designs, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 01:14:32 GMT

"Jeff Elliott" <jeffe@telepres.com> wrote in message

1) Freight boxes:  Okay, we talked about this: 4x8x4 bricks, the
standard Lego freight container.  Don't assume that there are sides
to it, though!

Then I give up. How am I suposed to reliably grip a container that I can't
get a hold of? Use forks under it??

2) Freight cars:  I saw Calum's prototype, and it seems to me that
a robot is going to have trouble landing boxes precisely enough for
that car - the positions of the crates are fine, but we might have
to work on lowering the sides and making more error-firendly cars.

With an accurate locating wedge, I can guarentee cartesian accuracy of +/-
0.25 mm using the light sensor (encoders won't allow that kind of accuracy).

4) Car coding:  Do we want to put labels/plates on the sides of the
interactive car types so that our automation can discern an engine
from, say, a freight car or hopper?  Wouldn't require too much work,
but I want to know if it's been done before.  Mean time to failure
is important here - it'd be nice to have a dependable solution that
would only fail once in a hundred cars or less, and adapt to light
conditions, etc.

Um. :)

(I don't have the programming skills to support this... Hey Jeff, wanna
program my gantry? ;) )

5) RCX commo protocols:  I'm bringing RCXes to the show, and they're
going to be talking to one another a lot.  I can do one of three
things:  Put them all in a cave or a box so that they can
intercommunicate without interference; I can use a robust multi-
message transport layer (and mess up anyone else...)  or those of us
who are bringing multiple RCXes can chose messages which don't
interfere.  So who is bringing RCXes?

Me! Me! I think.

    Iain