 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 821
820  |  822
Subject:
Standardizing Car Designs, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 20:18:00 GMT

Hey folks, (esp. Iain...)

So, we're talking about doing some nifty automated stuff at Train1.
Cool.  I think we're going to need to talk about some common
standards if we want to be able to interoperate, though:

1) Freight boxes:  Okay, we talked about this: 4x8x4 bricks, the
standard Lego freight container.  Don't assume that there are sides
to it, though!

2) Freight cars:  I saw Calum's prototype, and it seems to me that
a robot is going to have trouble landing boxes precisely enough for
that car - the positions of the crates are fine, but we might have
to work on lowering the sides and making more error-firendly cars.

3) Gravel/Whatever hopper cars:  Side tip or bottom-unloading?  I
don't care; I just put stuff in the cars.  Someone care to step up
to the task of designing a standard hopper car?

4) Car coding:  Do we want to put labels/plates on the sides of the
interactive car types so that our automation can discern an engine
from, say, a freight car or hopper?  Wouldn't require too much work,
but I want to know if it's been done before.  Mean time to failure
is important here - it'd be nice to have a dependable solution that
would only fail once in a hundred cars or less, and adapt to light
conditions, etc.

5) RCX commo protocols:  I'm bringing RCXes to the show, and they're
going to be talking to one another a lot.  I can do one of three
things:  Put them all in a cave or a box so that they can
intercommunicate without interference; I can use a robust multi-
message transport layer (and mess up anyone else...)  or those of us
who are bringing multiple RCXes can chose messages which don't
interfere.  So who is bringing RCXes?

Jeff E