 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7859
Re: calling all entomologist (OT - re:bugs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 00:01:40 GMT

   to my pleasant surprise, one replied within a few hours to tell me that what I had seen was indeed a wasp. Chlorion aerarium

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/sphecidwasps/chlorion.html

Wow. I didn’t know they made them in such colors. I thought they were pretty much restricted to yellow/brown/red/black color schemes.

   so the next time I see this blue beast I know not to pet it.

Depends on the temperament of that specific wasp. Yellowjackets are typically mean through-and-through, hornets are typically ornery when you get too close to their nest, but many wasps are very docile if you don’t spook them. Unfortunately, they don’t carry around mood-rings, so unless you know how that specific species is going to react, it’s a bit of a risk. The problem with most wasp species is that so many of them look almost identical to the untrained eye, but Mr. Blue there is a notable exception.