 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7856
Re: calling all entomologist (OT - re:bugs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 21:21:43 GMT

I am not an entomologist, nor do I claim to be one. I have little
interest in insects. BUT recently, these past few summers I would
occasionally see this "thing" that while in flight would remind me of a
standard variety garden wasp, with the hanging legs, and all.

http://www.donellis.com/images-wallpaper/wasp/wasp1600.jpg

BUT when it got closer to me it was not yellow and black but in fact a
metallic (neon) blue.  and I don't think it was a wasp.

I have tried to find this thing on line but unless I know what it is,
the net is of little help.

From your description, I think its a tiger beetle. They come in metallic blue as
well as metallic green flavours.
http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpecies_LI.asp?imageID=18384
They are active during the day unlike other beetles. They are fast runners and
fliers. Maybe I am way off. If so, who knows what the bug is? I had a bug book
around, but I'm not sure where it is.

Rob