 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7515
Re: I adore my...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:28:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:

<snip>

What's SX64, anyway?

The SX 64 was hte first colour portable computer, which just happened to be a
Commodore 64 in a case with a 1541 and a small 5" screen built in.

THe commodore company came up with the great idea around 1983/84ish--it put the
SX 64 on the market, but at the same time they said, "Well, if you wait a year,
we're coming out with the DX 64 (DX meaning you had *2* built-in 1541's instead
of just 1--dual floppy drives basically)

Many those folks who wanted a 'luggable' commodore decided to wait the year for
the DX 64, so the SX sold *very* poorly.

When the SX 64 basically flopped, the executives at Commodore thought the whole
line wasn't worth it and scrapped 'em all--there was never a DX produced for the
market.

Basically one of numerous ways when the best computer manufacturer of *all time*
(1) shot themselves in the foot.  The Commodore company was very good at
shooting themselves in the foot.

Dave K
1-I can state this without hesitation because the single most sold PC of *all
time* was the COmmodore 64--selling more units than Apple, TRS, or whatever else
at the time.

Eh, whatreya gonna do?