 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6790
Re: OMG we forgot about dinner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 00:46:08 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
we shall meet at Swiss C, at the usual time 6:00pm
we will meet at a NEW swiss C.
5487 Dundas Street West Etobicoke ON M9B 1B5
Calum has already "booked" the tables.  As usual we will endeavor to ask
for separate cheques.   I will NOT order an Iced Tea, cause S.C. has
Cr-p ice tea.

No, they don't take reservations.  I actually called.

Why is Calum so quiet? -- me

Because I'm working in a place that doesn't understand systems development,
demands that I can do the job of four, thinks a project manager should be a
test lead, business analyst, administration/support guy and development
manager, plus be positive, happy and present a cheery face to anyone who
asks.  That's why.

I've been busy listening to the demands of disgruntled users who've been
through years of not having their systems requirements solved all Tuesday,
sitting in meetings about those requirements without being able to make any
criticism (for being called negative and with a lack of analysis skills) all
Wednesday and today, and in the meantime, interviewing 10 potential
candidates to replace a programmer who left because he thought were all
screwed and NOT WORTH THE EFFORT to keep working for us, all three days.
Oh, and trying to convince my management why letting a random clerical
staffer click around a website for 30 minutes is an not an acceptable METHOD
OF TEST AND VALIDATION; why business process analysis isn't done on the fly
and KEPT IN THE HEADS OF DEPARTED STAFFERS and why documentation isn't just
keeping some assorted email exchanges in VSS.

If you're looking for a technology project manager, and you do things the
Right Way, give me a call.  I'm certainly looking again.

If anyone of you dare say this is "the usual" for "IT", I think I'm gonna go
go postal.  (Oh wait, that's too negative!  Do not share personal emotional
stability issues with coworkers)  I used to think we had bad processes in
our end at Nortel, comparing them to military/aerospace systems or telco
carrier hardware (ie, DMSes, 5E's).  In the words of Bruce Cockburn, "But
this, this is something other."

Now, I'm seriously thinking about sitting on my can again and watching
Voyager reruns until 3AM.

Grr.

Calum