 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5600
Re: Arena...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:02:30 GMT

One of the competition ideas which didn't make it to BrickFest this year was
to be in a walled enclosure. In the design process, I discovered that a line
is not a good idea. You need a black border going all the way to the wall.
If you put a line and the 'bot misses it on the way to the wall, it can get
trapped as it attempts to recover from the bump sensation. If the last 6
inches is all black, that doesn't happen.

JB

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:
Hi Dave,
I have an idea that would be a nice addition to the standard playing field.
What if there was a high contrast line placed about 15 cm (6 inches) within
the walls? This would allow robots to detect the line a back away from the
perimeter without having to bash into the walls. Of course it would be
optional for robots to navigate this way, since one could just as easily use
bumpers to detect the walls. It would be simple to add a line with tape, as
long as the colour is different from the floor. What does everyone think
about this? (I guess it would mean an update to the rules page...)

I don't mind, but Dave and Rob are building the arena, so it's up to them.
Someone let me know so I can update the page.

Calum