 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4696
Re: OT: Amiga, 2090a 2091 boot sequence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:04:14 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

Holy.  Man, you wouldn't believe the stuff I still get about A2090A's :)
For historical note, the A2090A Tech Notes was actually used as official
documentation for Commodore Canada's Amiga support service.  When you called
up CBM Canada in Markham, and requested support for the A2090A, you'd get a
fax of the A2090A guide I wrote.  That was a real honour.

That's cool man.  I think I was one of the last people to get a 2090A
and not be eligible for the upgrade deal for a 2091.  The entire time I
had this Amiga I wanted to upgrade to a 2091 but could never get the
money together to do it.  I finally managed to get one dirt cheep just
as the whole Amiga thing collapsed.  I installed it, but never tried it
until now.

Ideally I want to get everything from the 2090A's drive over to the new
drive and then take the 2090A out of the computer.  If I just copy
everything directly will it be able to boot from the SCSI drive, or do I
have to do something to make it bootable.  Arg, I've forgotten how to do
all this stuff.

It's funny how many Lego fans are ex-Amiga users...I sorely miss my A4000
WarpEngine040/28, GVP EGS/Spectrum, GVP ioExtender, and Hydra Ethernet.  The
Warp's SCSI controller STILL outclocks my Adaptec 2940UW on raw data
transfer on UltraNarrow disks.

The 2000HD is the only Amiga for me.  Non of this "accelerated" crap.
Its funny I no longer have a monitor for it so I'm running it through
my genlock to my 27" Sony VEGA.  I've never see such a big 640x200
screen.  Must try 640x400.  I wonder how the VEGA will handle the flicker.

So you have the machine booting AmigaDOS but not LoadWB from the internal disk?

Right its not booting from the internal hard drives.  It will boot from
a Workbench boot floppy.  Both hard drives are visible when I do this.

If you'd like, I have some spare Quantum LP52S' that would fit that A2091
just great.

You know I had trouble filling the 40MB hard drive, I think this 100MB
drive will probably do me for a while.  Then again I don't know how
stable any of the stuff I have is, so it might be a good idea to have
something in reserve.  You know for when I turn this thing on again in
10 years. :-)

Well, first off, I HIGHLY recommend you go with the A2091.  For one, it's a
relatively "modern" (well, ca 1991 modern) implementation of a WD33C93 SCSI
controller, with true DMAC onboard, RAM expansion, plus implemented support
for all the good AmigaOS stuff like RigidDiskBlock, SCSIDirect (for CDRom
and tapestreamer access).

Agreed.  Hey, I have a spare SCSI CD-ROM drive at the moment.  Cool, I
can put that in too.  Although I have nothing for the Amiga on a CD.

BUT, that all said, it's really much easier to work with an A2091.  Just
make sure you have a DMAC04, and at least REV 6.6 ROMs, and you're flyin.
Let me know if you need smore stuff for your Amiga.

How do I check that?  I believe I have a relatively new 2091.

Derek