 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4698
Re: OT: Amiga, 2090a 2091 boot sequence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:33:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

It's funny how many Lego fans are ex-Amiga users...I sorely miss my A4000
WarpEngine040/28, GVP EGS/Spectrum, GVP ioExtender, and Hydra Ethernet. • The
Warp's SCSI controller STILL outclocks my Adaptec 2940UW on raw data
transfer on UltraNarrow disks.

That is SO my new signature. Holey MSU. :)

I wish it was MSU, but it isn't.  Those are real Amiga products!

The A4000 was the last Amiga system ever designed by Commodore and was based
around the Motorola 68040 CPU and the AGA chipset (Advanced Graphics
Architecture).  It's not the most elegant Amiga though, that would be the
Amiga 3000 Desktop.

The MacroSystems US WarpEngine 040 is an accelerator board, which has a
faster CPU with local memory.  Mine was an 040/28 (4028) which runs at
28Mhz.  I also owned a 4040 as well.  It also had the world's fastest Fast
SCSI implementation using a NCR/SymbiosLogic 53C710 controller.
http://wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/warpref.html

The GVP EGS/Spectrum 28/24 is a Zorro II/III graphics board which gives the
Amiga better graphics capabilities.  While the Amiga had excellent graphics
for its time, eventually Amiga developers needed to be able to do RTG
(Retargettable Graphics) which allowed programs to use graphics cards other
than the original Amiga hardware.  The EGS was one of the better boards-it
had a nice monitor loopthrough which allowed the original Amiga video to
passthrough when EGS graphics weren't being used.
http://www.gvp-m.com/gvpmfiles/egs_spectrum.html

The GVP ioExtender is a Zorro II expansion board which added two serial
ports and a parallel port onto the existing Amiga ports.
http://www.gvp-m.com/gvpmfiles/Ioextgvpm.html

The Hydra Systems AmigaNet 1.1 is a Zorro II Ethernet card.  Ethernet is
very expensive for Amigas, but I managed to get six of them for $100 a
piece.  What a deal!  Cough.

There you go.  Four amazing Amiga products and no MSU at all!

Calum