 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4694
Re: OT: Amiga, 2090a 2091 boot sequence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:18:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
I did a search on Google trying to find help on Amiga boot sequences and
the first artical I get is on peach written by Calum.

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/a2090-10.guide

Holy.  Man, you wouldn't believe the stuff I still get about A2090A's :)
For historical note, the A2090A Tech Notes was actually used as official
documentation for Commodore Canada's Amiga support service.  When you called
up CBM Canada in Markham, and requested support for the A2090A, you'd get a
fax of the A2090A guide I wrote.  That was a real honour.

It's funny how many Lego fans are ex-Amiga users...I sorely miss my A4000
WarpEngine040/28, GVP EGS/Spectrum, GVP ioExtender, and Hydra Ethernet.  The
Warp's SCSI controller STILL outclocks my Adaptec 2940UW on raw data
transfer on UltraNarrow disks.

I'm trying to get my Amiga2000HD running again.  I turned it on for the
first time in like 6 years last night.  All it did was boot to a command
prompt.  I put in a Workbench disk and booted from that.  It booted fine.

So you have the machine booting AmigaDOS but not LoadWB from the internal disk?

Now heres the silly part.  The last thing I ever did to this computer
was install a 2091 with a 100MB hard drive.  I never turned it on after
that untill now.  So I'm not surprised that it doesn't boot from the
hard drives, but after all this time I can't remember anything I might
be able to do to try and fix it.

If you'd like, I have some spare Quantum LP52S' that would fit that A2091
just great.

So here's the configureation of my system.  It originaly had a 2090a
with 40MB ST-506 drive.  This was my boot drive and I know it worked
before.  In addition to this I installed a 2091 with a 100MB SCSI hard
drive.  Apparently it has an Amiga partition on it, but I didn't realize
that untill last night.

It looks like the system is trying to boot from the drive on the 2091
and not the 2090a.  Does anyone know of a way to change the boot
sequence so it boots off the 2090a first?  Or maybe an easy way to just
transfer the contents of the ST-506 drive to the SCSI drive and just
boot off that?

Well, first off, I HIGHLY recommend you go with the A2091.  For one, it's a
relatively "modern" (well, ca 1991 modern) implementation of a WD33C93 SCSI
controller, with true DMAC onboard, RAM expansion, plus implemented support
for all the good AmigaOS stuff like RigidDiskBlock, SCSIDirect (for CDRom
and tapestreamer access).

That said, you can set the BootPri of the A2091 to be lower than the A2090A.
Boot up in Workbench and launch HDToolbox from SYS:Tools (or was it
SYS:Utilities?) select scsi.device, and set the BootPri lower than the
A2090A's disks.

You can also probably configure the A2090A's BootPris lower, but it requires
using the Prep software on the A2090A Install Disk.  Ick, and it might
rewrite your bootblocks.

BUT, that all said, it's really much easier to work with an A2091.  Just
make sure you have a DMAC04, and at least REV 6.6 ROMs, and you're flyin.
Let me know if you need smore stuff for your Amiga.

Anyway to make this somewhat lego related, I finish building my Red
Barron last night.  Nice set.  I'm going to hang it from the ceiling at
work with my Sopwith Camel and have a little dog fight.

I got a Sopwith Camel and really rather enjoyed it.  It's quite a pretty
model and I like it a lot more than I expected.

Calum