 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4398
Re: rtl12 Game Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 13:17:29 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/psyclone/psyclone.html

Speaking of Cyclones, I'm annoyed because I missed a chance to ride THE
Cyclone.

Pttb, rotting wood. :)

I was in NYC today, arranged matters to swing by Astroland on Coney Island
and Cyclone was closed! It only runs on weekends till 1 June. So much for
adding a must have ride to my ride list. Sigh. I still have never ridden • it.
It's not that it is such a great ride necessarily, but it's the
historicality of it all.

I saw a show on TLC last night about bridge maintenence. They showed some of
the bridges in New York City. One of them had already began to buckle, and
they'd put wooden slats on the underside of the bridge so that the chunks of
concrete and rusted steel wouldn't fall on the pedestrian walkway below.
They had giant wood beams wedged under it to support it. I don't think I
trust *any* construction near that city after seeing that. :)

I saw the same sort of 'preventative maintenance' under the Gardiner
Expressway in many places (there, that's my Toronto reference!).  I was
sometimes scared to drive under these bridges!  And who can forget all those
wonderful bridges along the 400.  I don't know what truckers were thinking
when they thought they could fit their rigs under these bridges... It's like
that old newfie joke (and please forgive all my East Coast brothers...)

Two newfies in a rig going down the highway.  Sign on the bridge says
'Maximum Clearance 10 feet 6 inches' (forgive also the non-metric).  They
get out of the truck, look at the sign, pull out a measuring tape, measure
the truck and realize the truck is 11 feet high.  One says to the other,
while looking around, 'Well, no one's around!  Quick!  Lets see if we can
get away with it!'

K, wasn't that funny but hey peoples, I don't like driving under bridges
where the concrete's hangin' by the re-bar.

Now if you want to talk about real bridges... there's that wonderful twin
Skyway here in Hamilton (plus the lift bridge!).  Ever stop under those?
I'm gonna get my camera sometime and take pics :)

Did you know that there used to be train tracks on that lift bridge?  Like
there used to be this giant traffic circle where highway 20 meets the QEW
right now.  I think the Yanks call it a 'turnpike' but I could be wrong.

Dave
-full of trivia and other such non-consequential stuff

p.s. it is Loonie, Toonie, etc... tho I appreciated the funny jab from +Lar.

p.p.s. What, you don't like the loon, Iain?  Are you some sort of
non-outdoorsy Canadian???  Many many times on a canoe trip, or hiking trip
in mid to northern Ontario, being greeted by a loon (or more than one) early
in the morning... is what 'I Am Canadian' is all about.  Have you met my pet
beaver?  (I love that commercial)  I even saw loons on the Grand River
during my canoe trips there.  They are around, even down in the noisy
poluted 'Golden Horseshoe'.