 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4367
Re: Sumo-Train Competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 21:47:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I was thinking this morning how cool it would be to have this kind of
competition.

Imagine this:

RCX controlled train...3 cars, first car would have the train motor (train
engine car), second car would have the RCX (coal car), and the third car
would have the mechanism to knock off your buddy's/competitor's train off
his/her tracks ("crane car")

Tracks would be generally parallel in a "large-size" double loop.
The tracks would not be "powered" only by the power in the RCX.

Points would be 20 points for knocking off the engine or crane car.  30
points (for increased difficulty, more tension and torque) for knocking off
the coal car.

So how does this sound for a future competition.
To me, it sounds like fun and generally not too complicated.

This sounds absolutely hilarious. One suggestion I would have might be to
have two crossovers so each competitor spent 1/2 of its time on the inside
of the "oval" and 1/2 on the outside. My suspicion is that the crane boom
swinging packs a lot more mo when swung outwards as you're rounding a curve
than it does when swung inwards.

Of course with two crossovers you then have to add collision avoidance

Unless you used flyovers/overpasses?

Maybe if they were on the same track power segment/loop you only need one
crossover or one flyover? But then the trains are not independently powered.
Would that be a problem?

Anyway this sounds like movies of it would be fun to watch.

Xposted to trains but FUT left to rtlToronto...