 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4393
Re: Sumo-Train Competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 11:27:11 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
Do you mean the kind that has 4 crossings? I'm thinking you could do
it with
just one crossing if you sort of fold one lobe over the other (around the
outside... LMK if you need a .tdl to see what I mean), but that of course
means just one speed reg. Your idea allows for independent control.

Exactly....it's for the RCX to decide.  Speed Regs are for Train events.
This is a proposal for a robot competition.  No human intervention allowed.

Well, yes, true. You're envisioning the train motor being directly
controlled by the onboard RCX. Takes lots of batteries (which is a standard
way to do things)

However one interesting twist would be to have the train motor be
UNCONTROLLED, that is, at the start of the competition the speed regs (or
reg if it's one contiguous track) are set to some constant setting and it is
up to the onboard bot to work within that constraint. No change in direction
or speed would be allowed (unless the RCX on board "dragged its foot" to
slow the train down briefly). In that variant you probably don't want
crossings, just flyovers, as collisions are too potentially random.

Since all the humans do is set the speed once (to a fixed or predetermined
setting) this would not have any "human intervention", any more than
pressing the run button is human intervention.

ANOTHER twist would be to allow (or require) distributed computing. That is,
the track power is controlled by a stationary RCX on the ground (perhaps a
1.0 so it can get power from the wall) which the mobile RCX IR communicates
with, sending speed/direction change commands to. This lets you use onboard
batteries JUST to run the onboard RCX  and actuators and you get all other
power from the track (this of course requires "relay switches" where the RCX
powers an actuator that throws the switch that controls the device).