 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4166
Re: Dinner?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:37:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:

Dave....Calum got a nasty response from the general lugnet community that
our "dinners" weren't exciting enough to post them in lugnet.announce
or lugnet.events.

Ben,

I knew that Calum received a few responses questioning the validity of rtl
Dinner postings in those groups.  I was going for a slight tongue-in-cheek
"Hey, I didn't *see* it in .announce (ha ha)"... maybe we could then open a
dialogue with those who had a problem in the first place and try to get
across the idea that rtl dinners are bonafide LEGO(tm) events and that, at
these dinners (which anybody in the world is invited to, btw--I hear we may
hold a special one when Mario's in town :) ) we discuss many things related
to our favourite recreational activity (well, second favourite) and a few
LEGO(tm) guru's, such as Rob and Iain, sometimes bring in some Technic(tm)
apparatii they've been working on (see that multi-axle thingy that Rob
brought in that one time--tres cool!) and also sometimes peeps bring in
their latest train MOCs (which I'm sure would interest many, many people
(besides Chris and Bruce)) and once in a while we have a small
swap/trade/sell for bricks we no longer want and as such these dinners
should be posted in .announce and/or events so that *anyone* that happens to
be in the GTA at said time could partake in what I deem to be one of the
best ways to share our hobby with one another--talking LEGO(tm) over smoked
Montreal deli meat!

Anyway, that was what I was aiming for...

Its compartmentalized dorkism to the extreme....maybe if there were
photos of each dinner and some of the stuff people brought community in
general would be more receptive of rtl dinner announcements.

Ben, you know I like you, you know I appreciate your enthusiasm for our
mutual interest in LEGO.  We've met and I am glad to call you a friend.  I
can say this then--the above paragraph really doesn't to much to foster a
healthy atmosphere for discussions and resolution of the issue at hand,
which is "why can't we have our dinners announced like any other LEGO(tm)
event."

IMHO, pictures don't automatically make an event into an event worthy enuf
to be in the .announce section.  What I personally think is that those that
are opposed to rtl dinners being mentioned think it's just a dinner amongst
friends.  "Say it isn't so!"  Hey, it's not so!  Dinner is a far distant
secondary point to the primary purpose of this gathering--which is to talk
about astronomy--I mean what's that again... hmmmm... temporarily slipped my
mind... oh right, some little bits of plastic....

(btw, b/w you and me and the barn door (and for all others reading this),
I'm just putting the (tm) in this particular posting--it shan't happen
again, I assure you--I haven't suddenly become legalistic--is that my other
half just finished writing a paper as part of her masters program and I gave
her lotsa insight into TLC, the history thereof and the *proper* legalistic
way of writing LEGO(tm) in her paper--just thought you should know)

There was talk of the new lugnet home page layout that major clubs like ours
would have all the current events posted...

A Calendar of Events would be a spectacular thing for LUGNET!  Right now I'm
grabbing the acronym COLE(tm) (Calendar of LUGNET Events) before someone
else does!! ;)  There!  I said it first!  Is Mine!! All Mine!!!!! No one
else may use that acronym in reference to anything else ever again!!!  (k,
that was a little over the top but I'm laughing...)

I guess at this point the admins are wanted some feedback on income
generation strategies so at least Suze can run Lugnet full time as a job.

The discussions are ongoing and we, as the entire community, should be
patient, and realize that LUGNET is a really special place for the AFOL's of
the world to partake in.  If we start using nadjectives (dorkiness, et al.)
we are not going to facilitate good discussion and betterment of the
community--the entire community suffers as a result.

Hmmm.....

Hmmmmmmm.....  ;) as in, 'things that make you go...'

Ben

Reiterating my appreciation for you, Ben--keep up the great work you're
doing for rtlToronto.  I wish my appreciation for LEGO was half as much as
yours!

Dave