 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4040
4039  |  4041
Subject:
lego Insurance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:16:30 GMT

So, I get a bill In the mail from my home insurance company.

Its time to renew.  This is the perfect opportunity for me to think
about switching to the insurance company that has my cars.( i could save
5%)   I call up the auto insurance company and give them a spec on the
house and ask for a quote and  I am given a price.    it is about the
same as my existing insurer.  Then I tell her about my "lego collection"
and how i think it has a high value.   The nice lady on the phone tells
me that to insure the lego for EXACT REPLACEMENT value, it will cost and
additional $150.  WHOA....

This concerned me because my current home insurance policy claims to
have me covered for no additional funds.

Five minutes later I call my current insurer and have her go over my
existing policy and I once again ask about my lego collection and i
state a perceived value.  The nice lady (Terri) explains that there is
little fear that someone will steal the entire collection, and how water
damage to the plastic brick would be minimal, and the only real "threat"
is total loss due to fire. Ergo, they can offer replacement value as
built into my existing policy, no extra rider required.  All that would
be required is proof of the lego, and a video would suffice.

Some questions to the Group:

The (auto) insurance company said that to get the rider i would also
have to get the collection appraised.  Who does this??  Who in the GTA
has enuff knowledge of lego that I would feel comfortable agreeing to
what they say?  Has anyone had their lego professionally appraised?
Dose RTLToronto, have any insurance professional lurkers???

Has anyone In the group had the misfortune of having to make a claim
with an insurance company re: lego?  what happened and how did it go?

Why would one large insurance company think no-extra-ryder-required. and
a second large insurance company feel a separate rider is required??

why is this place so dead?

What are the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow going to be?

Chris
Pretend this says something funny