 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 385
384  |  386
Subject:
Event Operations and what I noticed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 06:53:21 GMT

One thing I've noticed is that everyone gets something different out of
events-someone might see a mechanical challenge, another, a programming
problem.  Some think of it an afternoon of fun.

What I get out of rtlToronto events, literally, is the joy of organizing and
presenting it.  The website, the flyers, the phone calls, the
scheduling-stuff I don't get enough of at work.  Wait, no, I get enough of
calling and scheduling contractors...but... Mind you, when it goes live, it
tends to be nothing short of chaos...

...which is why what _I_ learned from this, is some notes and comments on
the event itself:

1.  The Library: I'm very happy with the new location.  The Library is a
receptive and useful site, and brings quite a few more random people.  This
is both a good and potentially bad (random people = fear of people walking
off with stuff).  The worktables, chairs (which is not something we had for
everyone at the theatre), plenty of plugs (I think everyone had a plug) for
notebooks.

The next time:

-We need more space.  A LOT MORE SPACE.  I want to get the circular area
outside for competing and audience, and a room for builders.  That's not to
say nonbuilders can't visit builders inside, but at least this clearly
defines a place for people to sit and watch, and a place to build.  The
reason why we couldn't get it this time, was because the other rooms were
booked out...and if not the center area, at least Room A/B.

-A perimeter around the field.  I'm really quite happy with putting the
field up on tables, like at Guelph last March.  It brings the robots to an
easy level to see-plus Phil Schilling suggested we put a row of seats to get
more people viewing angle-worked well.  However, the problem of people
leaning up on the table continues to exist.  Markings on the floor?  A rope
barrier?

-A clear "welcome" area.  I will build an rtlToronto logo to sit on a front
table.  There, I would like to put flyers about rtlToronto, brochures from
our sponsors, all the free, jambalaya pieces.  If we could make one person
doing front of house, it would make handling the crowds better.

2. Event Scheduling

-We need to clearly display when events are.  Part of the problem this time
around was that we have enough people to make scheduling who plays who, and
getting people out of fixing their robot to compete, a real problem.  This
is not to say we should institute strict rules and times, but I think we
should get a list of who plays who and in what order VERY CLEAR.  On an
easel.  The problem is, the library only has one easyl and the book people
next door were using it.

3. Sponsors

-I really want to thank Steve Simpson, who got his former employer, ABB, to
sponsor the event with a few gifts, and Fayaz Choudhary, who randomly showed
up with a DDK to give as a prize!

One thing we need to think about is an approach to prizes.  Rob talked to
the folks at the Toy Outlet in St Jacobs for us-and this is really great.  I
think it's cool to have small prizes, if anything as tokens of appreciation.
Anything more would probably have people really angry about strict rules,
run times, etc.  I think this needs a little bit more thought.

I'm sure there's more but I wanted to get this out while I was still awake.
Calum