 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 397
Re: Event Operations and what I noticed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:31:30 GMT

so your saying we needed to book room a & b to get the foyer??  our room
was $20 does that mean a b & c are $60????
if that's the case then I'm all for all 3 rooms!!!

No, I'm saying we didn't get the foyer because the librarian on the phone
didn't think one could do that, and there were other people in the other
rooms.  But as for all three rooms, I'm not sure, that would sound logical
but I'd have to go call.

I also noticed this.  If one more little kid picks up a marble or a
block during game play i am going to lose it.   Ya i know.  its just a
game. BUT what happened if we get more sponsorship.  what if you lost
out on first place cause a kid knocked a robot?  what if by chance first
prize was a RIS??? it could happen.
what if first prize is money??? i have thoughts about that. to be
discussed in another thread.

Well, I don't think anyone is really into that.  At least I hope not.  I
could think of worse ways to make money.  It'd be as pathetic as guys who
sell used computer parts.

It's my belief that sponsors should really just help pay our operational
costs (room rental, building boards) and that prizes really should be small
but neat things (shirts, hats, little plastic models) as a token of
appreciation.

can you rent stanchions??

Probably not at our level of operation, it's not worth it.

OK, but who?  right now,   Calum its me, and you!  I got a bot, you'll
have a bot... anyone on this list will want to be in on the action not
manning some mailing list.

Well, I'm seriously considering doing the organization only aspect, seeing
as I can't really build for anything.  But even if we don't have a person,
we could have a designated table as the "Get your info about the
organization, the sponsors, get you free parts, drop off your free parts".

OK, but until we actually see who shows up with a bot we never know.
another way of stating what you just said is that we need to be more
organized.  we can make any chart of game play you want but if i my bot
is not ready.... then what??  we're back to how official should this be.

Well, you draw up the big sheet on the easel around 12:45PM with a Sharpie.
Mind you SOMEONE TOOK MY SHARPIE.  GRRR.  :)  Anyways, I think if we sort of
have a defined order, people will abide better and know when they can afford
to go offline for a five minute break to patch something up.  Or
alternatively, always preannounce the next two players "on deck" before running.

Calum