 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3111
Re: Train3, Is there still space for me?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:18:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
I've been out of touch for a while, so I haven't been able to request my
space on the layout for Train3.  I hope its still possible to fit me in.

Yes, absolutely!

I'm planning a 2 module long straight section.  It will contain a
hill/ridge with the main lines running through a tunnel.  There will be
a train station platform between the rails in the tunnel, and the
station building  will be on the hill above the track.

I was looking at the current layout diagram. I'm not sure if the
"Spacer/Calum" section is rigidly spoken for or not.  I think I'd
probably fit in best along there, if the layout can be lengthened in
that direction.  I can also continue the straight road section through
my layout.

JeffE was going to use the spacer if no one else was going to.  If we remove
the spacer, then a two long module fits perfectly on the right side between
me and JeffVW, if you remove Dave and relocate him to offside the track
(which is what he wanted to begin with)  I

Dave Koudys originally wanted to hang off a mainline of track, so he can
poke his yard out of part of my layout or yours.

If JeffE wants the spacer, then, we can still place you on the right side,
and just add a second spacer.

A station in a hill sounds great already!

One concern I have is, since I'm building over the mainline tracks I
want to get the right clearance.  Currently I'm leaving 15 blocks from
the top of the baseplate the track sits on to the over hanging
construction.  I believe this is our standard.  Please let me know if
this is a problem.

Yes, this is right-15 blocks from the top of the baseplate to the bottom of
the structure.  10 dots wide clearance.

I also thought I should put forward my turn clearance request again.  If
its at all possible I'd like to be able to run my "GO" train around the
layout.  However, in order to do that it needs greater clearance in the
turns.  I imagine this effects Jeff E's tunnel the most, but if there is
a chance of a modification before the show that would be awesome.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/miscellaneous/8wideclearance.gif

I should be okay with my section, I still have a factory to build, so I can
put it further in.  I'm not sure if JeffVW will have a problem either.  But
it's a question of whether JeffE can handle it inside the mountain.  I don't
envy opening up and modifying the inside if it won't fit.  Jeff, can you let
us know?

Well now I must continue building like a mad man.

Oh, I know this feeling well.  But unlike Technic, if you don't finish, you
can always place a little construction crew around it and say it's being
built! :)

As silly idea, I'm thinking of videotaping myself building part of my
layout, then speeding up the footage to music.  The problem is the only
camera I have here is a Digital8 which only uses 60 minute tape loads.

Calum