 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3062
Re: Sorta-OT: Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:21:19 GMT

So, I finally went and watched the Harry Potter film tonight and it finally
made sense:  Months of Lugnet posts about HP sets, the various names (Room
of the Winged Keys, Diagon Alley) of the sets, I finally understood all of them.

My sister, friends, relatives, have all watched and/or read the HP books.
So I was really out in the cold.  When buying a gift for my friend Nadine, I
had no idea what the Room of the Winged Keys was, I bought it purely out of
the fact it had two figures, and lots of arches.

Well I don't feel like saying "I told you so" but I had read all the books
since the beginning of the year, with exception to the last 2 which I
bought at the end of March.  I really thought the movie was great, but due
to the length of the movie, a lot of the early conflicts with Dudley were
left out, as well as pieces of the story here and there....but they did a
great job of keeping to the plot of the story.... (and only added Ron
getting clubbed by his broom for slap-stick humor).

Anyways, now that I've seen it, I realize how perfect the HP franchise
is-there are just so many possibilities for making toys based on this film,
due to the sheer number of sets/scenes.  And a lot of those scenes/setpieces
really suit themselves to a) Lego construction and b) role play.  I had this
impression thoroughout the film it was like "Hey, here's a new room.  We'll
put in one line of dialogue.  Okay, next scene!"

Oh yeah!!  I was surprised that Lego continued with their soccer theme for
2002.  I was hoping for a Quidditch Playfield.....(maybe for the next
movie release sets (HP Chamber of Secrets), which will (hopefully) be released
in November 2002.

And I also disappointed with the Gringotts Bank set.....it was a nice attempt
at trying to recreate some of the detail from the scene....
If you ask me, they should have done the bank in 3 parts....

External Scene, as seen from outside Diagon Alley, traditional bank looking-
type building.

Internal Scene I, the large customer-service room with several of the
goblins working as bank tellers....

Internal Scene II, a small section of track, 9V, maybe one or two straight
pieces with a (gradual) down-sloping piece, and an up-sloping piece, like they
have in the monorail series, to allow you to have different heights of
track....hmmm

Oh and they really need to come up with a 4 Privet Drive Set......though
the scale they are using, and the building techniques they are doing with
the HP series, it would be hard to come up with something nice...

...and a Hogwarts Express Expansion set, would be very nice as well!!

I'm also really eager to build some stuff with arches, since the HP sets
have them in abundance--  Check this set out:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4712

I'm going to guess this is going to be a rather poor selling set (it's a
frickin bathroom with an ugly troll in it).  Yet, look at that beautiful
grey arch and all for $15 CAD!  HP ain't so bad after all.

The troll isn't the only ugly thing in the set....the fawcett is a tad bit
on the ugly side as well!!! :)

Benjamin Medinets