 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3074
Re: Sorta-OT: Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:47:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Allan Bedford writes:
Weird.  For me the reaction was opposite.  The LEGO set looks nothing like
what I imagined from the book.  Although many of the other sets/scenes from
the movie seem to be well presented.

I can see how the Lego doesn't look anything like what you imagine from the
book-of course everyone will have a different opinion and imagination.  (I
haven't read the books so I had no opinion).  What really got me was the
narrow arches on the exterior of the Hogwarts School.

I would normally agree with you, that something translated from a book to
another medium generally won't look like what you imagine.  However, the
Harry Potter movie seems to be the exception to this rule.  For myself, and
many others I've talked to, the movie very closely represents the book, from
characters, to sets, to colors and textures etc.

My comment was then, why the LEGO sets couldn't have come closer.  I mean,
they did it with the Star Wars sets.  These were vehicles etc. that were
extremely familiar to many of us and to their credit, LEGO did a bang up job
in replicating them.

I guess the Harry Potter sets are disappointing, for me, for the fact that
they are little more than facades of the sets/scenes and that a great
opportunity was squandered.

Regards,
Allan B.