 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2910
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto10: Project X Lego Event Confirmed for February 23rd, 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 05:46:29 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
How do we define 'finish first'?  I think the robot need to play some sound to
declare that it is done.  Just making the X pattern alone is not enough since
the robot may be still scanning the area it hasn't visited.

I'm going to have to disagree.   i think we will all know which robot finished first because it will be the first robot to put down the final block to make the X pattern.    In my opinion, the robot could keep scanning the board and whistle dixie, long after the X is made.  it should not matter.

I think Ka-On has a point-there's going to be a lot of robots spread over
several tables, which means it's not going to be obvious who has finished
first.  Why not have a beep, it's just as prone as the robot's owner or some
kid screaming, "it's done!" too early

I guess we will have a little PC program to generate the random pattern?

Calum and I were talking about this.  We think it would be fair to have
every member of RTLToronto to submit to either myself or Calum, a
"random pattern"  If everyone who is entering a robot, submits a pattern
the night before, then that could be a source for patterns.   As well,
I'm sure if we run out of ideas we can poll the audience. and as you
said:  get a PC to generate a pattern.

I think it would be fun for each team/person to enter in a pattern into the
list of patterns, from a strategy standpoint.  You might pick a pattern your
code can easily accomodate or a toughie you know someone else will get
bogged down on.

The owner need to mark a certain square at the lower left square of the
pattern.  Otherwise the owner may rotate the starting pattern to suit the
robot's design.  I think we should leave all the thinking to the robot.

Why?  If I understand you question;  i cant see why we should force
robots to 'start' or end in any position.
What do you mean by mark a corner???

Yeah, it's true, rotating the pattern to fit your algorithm is a trick.  I
think Ka-On wants us to say, this is always cell 1, this is always cell 16.
As a result, the operator can't rotate the pattern to match his/her code's
optimization.

I plan on bringing my code just to prove that I even CODE with brute
force.

You're proud of this? :)

Calum
PS-Note.  Flaxles ain't as flexible as you might thing.  I spent 30 minutes
today trying to orient our EOAT so that I could get easy access to the end
of the flaxle for driving via gearmotor.    A half sized flaxle would be
supercool.