 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2738
Re: Is it wrong?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:22:31 GMT

Sometimes the virtual glass concept works.  Where you make all the frames like
there is glass in them, but never put it in.  So people are given the impression
of it being a window even though there is no real lego glass piece that could
fill in the space.

I tried this with my Imperial Shuttle because I couldn't find a piece that
looked right to me.  I'm not sure how successful it was, but I think it worked
better then any of the canopy or window pieces I tried.

I've seen this done with great success else where.  Unfortunately I can't come
up with any examples off the top of my head.

Anyway my recommendation would be to try something like this before deciding to
add a non-lego element.  However I wouldn't think any less of the project if you
did.  I used a cut plate in the Imperial Shuttle which I consider a far worse
crime then using non-lego elements. :-)

Derek

Calum Tsang wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a dumb question:  Is it wrong, and by wrong, I mean, would it be
unusual or looked down on, to have the roof of a building in a Town layout
to be made of plexiglass or glass?

Iain and I were looking at the bus station at Square One in Missisauga
tonight and noticed it was all glass.  He then asked me if I thought I could
build a train station out of glass.

I've seen train stations covered in complete slopes (JeffVW's roundhouse for
one.  Wow!) and some in 48x48's curved (done by Jason Spears IIRC.  THAT is
smart), solid brick, and also glass 4x3x1 thin wall.  Would it be wrong if I
instead covered the roof in like a real sheet of plexi or lexan?

I'd like people to see inside the station.  Another possibility might be to
use the open roof concept done so well by some of the American LTCs (I
believe the tool shop done by PNLTC, was one of the first to do that)

Calum