 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2730
Re: Is it wrong?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:27:33 GMT

Hi folks,

I have a dumb question:  Is it wrong, and by wrong, I mean, would it be
unusual or looked down on, to have the roof of a building in a Town layout
to be made of plexiglass or glass?

Iain and I were looking at the bus station at Square One in Missisauga
tonight and noticed it was all glass.  He then asked me if I thought I could
build a train station out of glass.

I've seen train stations covered in complete slopes (JeffVW's roundhouse for
one.  Wow!) and some in 48x48's curved (done by Jason Spears IIRC.  THAT is
smart), solid brick, and also glass 4x3x1 thin wall.  Would it be wrong if I
instead covered the roof in like a real sheet of plexi or lexan?

I'd like people to see inside the station.  Another possibility might be to
use the open roof concept done so well by some of the American LTCs (I
believe the tool shop done by PNLTC, was one of the first to do that)

Calum

I think it all boils down to what you are trying to achieve with the model.
If you feel like "cheating" and use non-lego items on it, that is fine...you
are the maker.... just don't tell the kiddies looking at it, "that with enough
bricks, they can also build the model at home....." :)

it also is a similar question asked earlier (like in the Spring), "should my
house have two walls or just one (lego town building standard), and if there
should there be a staircase going from one floor to another (no stairs,
lego town standard).

Like I said, I would say that if the goal was to save a bunch of money and
still let viewers see the activity inside the trainstation, then I say
go for it, and use glass or plexiglass.

If your goal, is to remain 100% lego, then go for some of the lego elements
that are transparent.  I guess the conclusion is how innovative you are with
your bricks..... :)

Benjamin Medinets