 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17247
Re: some 'puter/math help please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:22:05 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rafe Donahue wrote:

<snip>

So what are the points between (0,0) and (10,15)?  It depends how many you want,
suppose you want to have 11 points on the line.  Make a loop go from 0 to 10 by
1 (that will give you 11 points) and then compute the y values as y=1.5x, where
the x's are the 0 through 10.

If you wanted 21 points, loop from 0 to 10 by 0.5 and compute the y values in
the same way.  In this case the x's will be 0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, ..., 9.5, 10.0.

In general, if you want k+1 points, then step by 10/k, since 10 is the top value
of your run of x values.

I guess this is where pythagoras will factor in--I want the number of points to
be the same as the length of the initial line (from random (x,y) to (0,0))--if
the line is 17 units long, then the dot will progress 17 steps down to 0,0.
This should allow the program to move the dot at the same 'relative speed' to
0,0, no matter what the x,y values are.

If the line is longer or shorter, the number of points will adjust accordingly

Now I think we're into c^2 = a^2 + b^2--anyone know how to do a square root on
the NXT?--or is there an esier way to find the length of line segment
(x,y)(0,0)?

Thanks

Dave

Does that help?

Rafe

p.s.  Oops, I just saw that you want to go from 10 down to 0.  In that case, set
up the loop to go from, say, 10 to 0 with a step of -10/k instead of 10/k.