 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16843
Re: There's a reason steam engines use a flywheel...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:25:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:

I'll play around with some ideas--aat this time, the design dictates that the
flywheel has to be 2 studs wide.

I might go with multiple smaller flywheels instead of a big one.

You might consider using the LEGO magnet bricks
<http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=M010&cn=13&d=443>.  They've got a
good mass to them, and they're two studs wide.  I can think of a couple
different ways to fashion them into a round configuration:

1. studs facing in or out - with technic beams or hinge plates to affix them in
the round shape, and some radial connections attaching them to a central axis.

2. studs facing tangentially.  That is, aligning them all in the same direction,
and again using technic beam bricks to affix them to each other at an angle.
This system could give you a very dense assembly, assuming you can stomach a
minimum of a 10-12 stud diameter.

As an added bonus, you might be able to pull off a weak inductive generator
design that powers a flickering LED or something.

Anyway, that was the first "high density" solution that came to mind.  Good
luck!