 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16829
Re: There's a reason steam engines use a flywheel...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:34:26 GMT

On 10/24/06, Derek Raycraft wrote:
Rob Antonishen wrote:
Bottom line is a flywheel is more effective when its inertia is larger
(mass is further from the center of rotation or mass is larger.  So
you either need it large (diameter) and lighter or small and heavier.
When you say "tiny" what do you mean?  I would suggest attaching two
train weights to a pulley, if that is not too big.  Otherwise, tires
tend to be the heavier elements.  One from 8448 or something similar.

Angular momentum plays a big role in flywheel design as well.  So you
can bring velocity into it.  You can add a small, light, fast flywheel,
and a large, heavy, slow flywheel to your options.

Thanks for that addition Derek.  One issue with high angular
velocities is stalling.  To get the high RPM you tend to need lots of
gearing, and starting out can be a pig.  Ideally, a high speed
flywheel behind a CVT should work great, but I haven't seen a high
torque CVT made from Lego (yet).

Cheers!

-Rob A>