 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16825
Re: There's a reason steam engines use a flywheel...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:49:11 GMT

On 10/24/06, David Koudys wrote:

Anyway, distractions aside, I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a very
tiny yet 'has lots of momentum' flywheel into the gizmo I'm trying to develop.

Sure I could add metal washers and stuff, but that's not 'LEGO' pure...

That's a tall order.  If you want the math for the moment of inertia
of a rotating object, here is the wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia (hehe)

Bottom line is a flywheel is more effective when its inertia is larger
(mass is further from the center of rotation or mass is larger.  So
you either need it large (diameter) and lighter or small and heavier.
When you say "tiny" what do you mean?  I would suggest attaching two
train weights to a pulley, if that is not too big.  Otherwise, tires
tend to be the heavier elements.  One from 8448 or something similar.

Good luck!

-Rob A>