 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15887
Re: {rtlToronto 21} Tug 'O War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:35:06 GMT

   (‘cause I can’t use the square brackets, and besides, it’s still tentative...) After many great ideas were thrown around, we decided to go with somethign that’s visually exciting for the audience--

RCX Tug ‘O War...

The tentative rulesets thus far (with professionally drawn diagrams even!)

Two standard tables are placed ‘end to end’, but with an 18 inch gap between them

Electrical tape, signifying the ‘starting line’ for the robots, is placed 18 inches from the edge of the table closest to the other table)

A length of rope that spans both tables as well as across the gap and allows for a little overhang at both ends is placed along the center of the tables. The rope will have a red mark or a flag at the center point of hte rope. This center point will be placed at the center of the gap at the beginning of each competition.

Robots are placed on the tables at the 18 inch mark. The leading edge of the robot must be above the electrical tape--i.e. the robot cannot start at the ‘back’ of the table, nor can the robot start in front of the 18 inch mark.

The rope is fed through the robot before the start of the event, but the rope must be ‘loose’ inside the robot--i.e. the rope should be able to be pulled out easily. No knotting or gripping of the rope is permitted before the start of the event.

At the word ‘Go!’, a robot may do whatever it can to grip the rope, including if your robot can tie a knot in the rope by itself during the competition,

So that’s the setup

‘Da rulz’ (outside the standard rtlToronto ruleset about standard build techniques, yadda yadda yadda)

Robots must fit within an 10 x 10 x 10 inch cube. This should cut down on ‘I own more battery boxes than you so I’ll enter a 50 pound robot’ entry.

Each round will be 3 minutes

To win the event--

If a robot is pulled completely off the tabletop, that robot has lost the round. If there are pieces from the robot left on top of the table, either intentionally or unintentionally, that robot still loses the round.

If a robot ‘lets go’ of the rope--i.e. the rope is no longer within the perimeter of the actual ‘bot, that robot has lost the round.

At the end of 3 minutes, if both robots are still on top of the tables and both robots are still holding onto the rope, the robot that has the red marker or flag closest to its table wins the round.

Discuss...

At first look I thought this will be similar to the “Balance of Power” competition, didn’t make me too crazy about it, but then I got to the part about the robots not holding on to the rope before the competition start and that made it really interesting. Actually requires the RCX this time and maybe a little programming.

My opinion is that this competitions could have a lot of potential, a lot of really cool creations can be made. And this time there could be a lot of different types of entries.

I think that the idea of having different weight classes is pretty good, because there will be defiantly some that will pack their robot with battery boxes, and other like me, won’t be able to, I have two. So I think that if there is enough competitors then it should be split up.

Lastly about the rope I also think that it should be soft and thin, as that way it will be easier to build your mechanism to grab it. I there any other specifications on the actual grabbing mechanism, height of it, size...?

When do you think that the competition will run, so that I can plan my time better this time?

Overall sounds like this is going to be quite fun.

Vitali