 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15854
Re: rtl21 ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:25:45 GMT

The more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to this idea.

As Janey stated, you can have as complex 'bot as you want--if you can get your
block to pick up 1 'card' only, then you can enter with the hopes that everyone
else busts--kinda like the stationary house transfer block thingy.

On the other hand, if you can build a 'bot that keeps the cards itemized for
retrieval such that it can exchange and throw out cards at will, well there's
something.

It's a technically difficult challenge, I agree, You're building the equivalent
of a robotic tape silo on wheels--down to the barcode reader to read the tapes
and the library mechanism to slot them around.  But it's also boring as hell.
Even I'm bored as hell talking about it.

Whether it's interesting for the spectators?  Eh, rtlToronto has always swayed
on that point.  The idea that 4 or more 'bots are moving around on the playfield
should be sorta fun to watch.

But we already did a "boring for the spectators" event.  Organized gambling, as
neat as it is, is bordering on wargaming, Linux Installfests and watching anime,
eg BORING :)

I don't think we can base audience enthusiasm as a criteria for running an rtl
competiton at Oakwood.

Well, that's why I want to do the next one at Lillian.  I get pumped up with a
crowd and it adds to the "Event" part of the day.

Yeah, completely different dynamic at Oakwood--it's a less busy library.  Do
they post our competitions before hand?

I don't think so--but I also think downtown near the university I think parents
bring their kids to the library on Saturday mornings more often.  Will need to
talk to them again about this.

Calum