 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15853
Re: rtl21 ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:22:39 GMT

So...

...the next big topic is rtl21: What to Do.

Let's recap some of the ideas from dinner:

a) Blackjack concept from Janey (I mean...from Chris!)  Drive around or use a
shared environment and pick up encoded elements, teaching RCX to "gamble" such
that at the end of event, the robot has a "hand" which is closest to 21.

Technically difficult, but would be really cool.  Visually boring.

How about stationary bots that you would "give" real cards to?  i.e feed them
into a slot when they request a hit and have them scan the pips.  might need a
standard card deck though.

Oor skip the whole building part and just have th RCX's communicate over IR.   The Dealer RCX would send the card values to the player RCX's  via a defined protocol, and diplay info on the screen.  That would make it a pure programming challenge and super boring for spectators.

Or double it up, and have a "dealer proxy" to do this for those who want to
treat it as a pure programming challence, and have the other player bots
handle/scan real cards.

Can you explain what is meant by "encoded elements?"  An extra bar code on the
cards?

b) Drag racing with a wall.  We did something like this before, but that wall
would be scary.  Speedvision Announcer Voice (tm):  Pinks....lose the
race...lose your RCX.  That creepy Rich Christensen guy looks into the camera.
"Let's race."

Technically simple, but fun and light.  Visually dynamic.

Or drag racing outside the box.  Literally!  Put the playfield on the floor and
have the bots race around the playfield.

I would suggest an outer track marker of tape (white or black, whichever has the
best floor contrast).

I know others have done this on a gradient oval track (can't find the link right
now) so the racers can judge their relative positions, but most may not have
access to a large format printer required to make such a track for practice...

c) Rope ladders.  Combine a technically challenging event like rtl9: Show me the
Monkey! with another event like rtl16: End of my Rope.  Ladder goes up on an
arc, spacing could be same or different between rungs.  Ropes are dynamic.

Mechanically challenging, software is simple.  Highly visual (goes over crowds'
heads!)

Rope with wood rungs, or all rope?

d) Can stacking.  Some like it (DaveK), others don't (Vitali, Chris).

Meh.  lifting real world objects is hard becuase of structural limitations in
Lego.

e) Teacup balancing.  Balance a teacup at the end of a pole.  Teacup would be
welded to the pole, but still...  none of this "Legway" crap...you'd have to do
it with regular RCX hardware.

The inverse pendulum problem is an old one.  A 2-D version is quite hard.  I
would think an RCX with stock formware wouldn't be able to do it, and I will
speculate that most in RTLToronto arent up to learning legOS.

f) Biathalon-esque event.  Shooting and moving type of game.

I kind of like this idea....can we flesh it out some more?

g) Relay racing.  Okay, it's getting late here...

Same issue with the last cooperative game... "my but never put less than 2
blocks in other bots....but i got a poor score becauase noone else's bot got one
in mine!"

h) Paper folding.  One of the things I saw as a kid in Expo86 in Vancouver was a
robot that folded an airplane and threw it into the crowd.

Good demonstrtation event, not a great competition.

http://www.geocities.com/exposcruff/red/canada.html?200526
(Can't find a picture of it though)

That would be insanely hard, but neat.  Maybe something that can fold brochures.

i) Lego Easy-Bake Oven.  Now that we're all familiar with overdriving Lego
lights at 18V and most of us own about a hundred each due to rtl20, we should
try baking cupcakes.

Some more ideas we've NEVER done:

-Weaving machines
-Vending machines
-Axle sorters
-Something underwater
-live4 Boats
-Something that flies (!)
-Juggling
-Automated assembly (eg, toy cars, ducks)

I've noticed btw while our core attendance has never been better, ever since we
left Lillian, our public audience has gone down....I miss the random spectators
of downtown versus Oakwood.

probably was the proximity to the UofT that helped bring in people.

Calum