 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15851
Re: rtl21 ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:51:51 GMT

So...

...the next big topic is rtl21: What to Do.

Let's recap some of the ideas from dinner:

a) Blackjack concept from Janey (I mean...from Chris!)  Drive around or use a
shared environment and pick up encoded elements, teaching RCX to "gamble" such
that at the end of event, the robot has a "hand" which is closest to 21.

Technically difficult, but would be really cool.  Visually boring.

<snip>

The more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to this idea.

As Janey stated, you can have as complex 'bot as you want--if you can get your
block to pick up 1 'card' only, then you can enter with the hopes that everyone
else busts--kinda like the stationary house transfer block thingy.

On the other hand, if you can build a 'bot that keeps the cards itemized for
retrieval such that it can exchange and throw out cards at will, well there's
something.

Whether it's interesting for the spectators?  Eh, rtlToronto has always swayed
on that point.  The idea that 4 or more 'bots are moving around on the playfield
should be sorta fun to watch.

I noticed that many visitors didn't stik around for the last few rounds of the
last competition, and I thought that 8 'bots moving around on the field was very
fun, so what do I know?

I don't think we can base audience enthusiasm as a criteria for running an rtl
competiton at Oakwood.

I've noticed btw while our core attendance has never been better, ever since we
left Lillian, our public audience has gone down....I miss the random spectators
of downtown versus Oakwood.

Calum

Yeah, completely different dynamic at Oakwood--it's a less busy library.  Do
they post our competitions before hand?

Dave K