 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15512
Re: Y??? 'Cause I'm asking!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:39:23 GMT

David Koudys wrote:
2.1 Transfer Interface
The Wall Surface should be a uniform colour and made of solid bricks.

This is a rule.

4.0 Design Guidelines

The Wall Surface should be white to allow robots using light sensors to detect
the Transfer Opening.

This is not.

So either we interpret the word 'should' as 'has to be', as in 'the wall HAS TO
BE white and HAS TO BE a uniform colour (therefore white), no exceptions

Or we interpret the word should as 'can be', as in the walls CAN BE white, or
another colour if you don't have enough white, and the walls CAN BE a uniform
colour, but again, if you can't do that, no worries.

I'm interpreting 'should' the second way.  I don't have enough white hinges so
I'm substituting light grey instead.

I believe the intent is 'should' means 'must' otherwise the rule is
meaningless and could be completely ignored.

When writing design documents I am very careful not to use the word
should.  It renders anything you say meaningless.  That one word is the
biggest waste of specing time, and biggest saver of development time.
Till the bugs roll in.

As a parenthetical, some of my white bricks date back to the '60's and are
pretty close to tan--will I have to replace those as well if we go with the
first interpretation?

On this point, you must decide if using these brick will be detrimental
to your success in the game.  I'm not going to complain.  I won't even
complain if you use the different coloured hinges.

Derek