 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15351
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto20 Near Final Ruleset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:29:36 GMT

On 12/12/05, Calum Tsang  wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
What I'll ask you to do, is to give me a reformatted version of the existing
rulepage, which looks reasonably the same, and can print and be viewed
onscreen.

I personally don't know enough about CSS to do this analysis.

Well.... you have discovered one of the significant weaknesses of CSS
based layouts.  The lack of true separation between content and
presentation.

Because you are using fixed width DIV's, when printing them the fixed
width is respected.  i.e. the width is wider than the paper, so it
gets clipped off.  It won't word wrap as the width has been fixed for
the screen.  The only way to "fix" it so it doesn't clip on printing
is to get rid of all the fixed width elements.

But one thing you could do quickly is to remove the "height:89px;"
attribute from div ID Layer1 (the main body).  This is what was
preventing Firefox from printing more than one page.  The width can
then just be adjusted by print scaling until it fits on the page.

-Rob A>