 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14859
Re: this place is DEAD..... lets kick it up a notch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:39:31 GMT

Dave.

  I am now the proud owner of a DN121ip  Digitrax DCC chip.

http://www.digitrax.com/v1/dn121ip.htm

You need to get some LEGO electric plates then look thru these helpful
instructions--

http://sparky.i989.net/ltraindcc.htm

Now there's two ways you can do it--DCC chips have a few options for lights and
things.  Some of mine came with 4 light outputs but I only used 2

So you need a 2x2 contact plate for the signal input, a 2x2 contact plate for
the motor output, and 2 2x2s for the light contacts.

What I did was take a 2x8 electric plate, took the metal strips out of it, and
cut it into segments.  If I recall, I disected the plates as follows

2 studs long on both sides for input, 2 studs long on both sides for motor
output, a 4 stud long for the 'common' light, and 2 separate 2 studs long for
each light.

o o|o o|o o|o o

o o|o o|o o o o

In  Mot  L1  L2

After all the appropriate wires were soldered to the metal contacts, I put them
back in the 2x8 plastic piece.  I also then ddremelled a 2x8 regular plate to
fit under that to keep the metal plates in place.

Then a 2x8 brick below that dremmeled to fit the chip, then a 2x8 on the bottom
so nothing falls out.

Mark Riley did something a little better, imo--he used 2x4 electrical plates and
put the input and motor output on the bottom and put the two light ports on teh
top--it was alot smaller that way.

Anywho, on with the discussion

You can get more outputs or a smaller brick by chopping a wire, and using the 2
bits for signal input and motor output. Only really useful if you know the brick
is gonna be close to the signal and motor though.

ROSCO