 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14858
Re: this place is DEAD..... lets kick it up a notch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:04:52 GMT

David Koudys wrote:

Dave.

I am now the proud owner of a DN121ip  Digitrax DCC chip.

http://www.digitrax.com/v1/dn121ip.htm

so, seeing as your the DCC guy, where should i start.

i want to make it into a "brick" the way you did.  so that i dont mess
up my (technic) motors.

where should i start. what do i need to do?

Chris

You need to get some LEGO electric plates then look thru these helpful
instructions--

http://sparky.i989.net/ltraindcc.htm

Now there's two ways you can do it--DCC chips have a few options for lights and
things.  Some of mine came with 4 light outputs but I only used 2

So you need a 2x2 contact plate for the signal input, a 2x2 contact plate for
the motor output, and 2 2x2s for the light contacts.

What I did was take a 2x8 electric plate, took the metal strips out of it, and
cut it into segments.  If I recall, I disected the plates as follows

2 studs long on both sides for input, 2 studs long on both sides for motor
output, a 4 stud long for the 'common' light, and 2 separate 2 studs long for
each light.

o o|o o|o o|o o

o o|o o|o o o o

In  Mot  L1  L2

After all the appropriate wires were soldered to the metal contacts, I put them
back in the 2x8 plastic piece.  I also then ddremelled a 2x8 regular plate to
fit under that to keep the metal plates in place.

Then a 2x8 brick below that dremmeled to fit the chip, then a 2x8 on the bottom
so nothing falls out.

Mark Riley did something a little better, imo--he used 2x4 electrical plates and
put the input and motor output on the bottom and put the two light ports on teh
top--it was alot smaller that way.

Anywho, on with the discussion

Dave K

see, in my little mind, this serves 2 purposes.

1. to see if my THEORY that if i post, LUGNET over all stats to post,
and when i stop, LUGNET slows down....

and

2.  i dont care about the lights. i was thinking about a SIMPLE 2x4
plate  and IN side, and and OUT side for motors, and thats it.

ALSO. it would seem that this "chip" has been pre built to slot into
model xyz car. and i will need to get the pin out diagram to make this
work.

thanks dave.

Chris