 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13985
Re: Honda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 17:46:18 GMT

Iain Hendry wrote:
<http://www.smartz.co.uk/f/crash.wmv>

It's the video from the British show, someone edited down the show to just the
part with the smart crash, and put their own music on top.  Dumb, but shows what
I was refering to.

The way it just EXPLODES off to the side looks so wrong.  They don't tell you
it's a 30 degree offset test.  This clip also doesn't show how they're still
able to open the doors and close them just fine as if it were in the showroom.
But it gets the idea across.

I saw the video.  Quite interesting.  Much more intact that I thought it
would be, but then after thinking about it, it's not too surprising.

The problem with this type of crash in this kind of car is there are
little or no crumple zones to reduce the g-force loading on the
passengers.  So the people in the car are going from 115kph to zero
awfully fast.  In a more traditional car the resulting crash damage
would probably look a lot worse, but the loading on the passengers would
be a lot less.

I'm very eager to show off how safe this car is to anyone who doubts it!!  When
I get one I will not, however, drive into a concrete wall for you.

But I bet I could punch through half of Derek's Element before bouncing merily
away intact into the ditch (with the hazard and dome lights coming on
automatially, of course).  :)

Side on, you might drive right through it.  Head on, I'd get the better
of you.

Derek