 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11733
Re: Fed UP with rtl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:38:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
It's been rather dissapointing that over the last couple years at Brickfest, the
ONLY Mindstorms event anyone from rtl ever entered was the one event they
hosted.  (sorry, I should also count Rob's crevas crossing robot, which he
entered via proxy)  So, in the five Mindstorms events that weren't hosted by
rtl, there was exactly one entry from the "robot guys" in Toronto.

Seems the events at Brickfest were always "too easy".

Ah, nothing like flaming Steve with a complete lack of sleep!

I think the issue with BrickFest was that no one ever goes except for the crowd
that does non-robot stuff, ie, Derek, JeffVW, JeffE, DaveK etc.  It just happens
the train/models/events crowd is the same as the BF crowd, and the exact
opposite of the Rob etc crowd.

No, I guess I don't know who in the group does robots, and who doesn't.  I
actually assumed Derek did robots, because at rtl 15, he was the only person
from Toronto who had a robot that could actually play Connect-Four.  (Even if it
was littered with train parts.)  :)  And, he had a pretty cool flex-axle driven
pipe racer at Brickfest last year.

And Jeff VW ran (or tried to run) Rob's robot at Brickfest.  I guess that really
doesn't make him a robot person, but it does make him a nice guy.  :)

And, last year, there were the other guys that entered the pipe racers event;
Dave A. and John G.  Are you saying they're not robot guys?  I've seen Dave's
book, and several of John's robots.  Good stuff.

For a while, I thought you were a robot builder, Calum.  But, come to think of
it, I've seen more successful robots built by Chris than by you.  :o

You'd probably realize that if for the fact you've always been an outsider
looking in. :)

I'm ok with that.  In fact, I think I prefer it that way.  I enjoy coming up
there every once in a while and showing you rtl guys how to build robots.

Steve