 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11649
  Thoughts on drag racing

First off, this competition sounds like some good, mindless fun! So I started building a drag racer over the weekend and have a few thoughts. Starting: I am wondering about starting methods. How are we going to ensure the drag racers start at the (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) I like this idea, because it guarentees that both robots will have their programs started at the same time. Mandate that everyone must use a common program slot for their running program (ie, Program 1). (...) Did you ask for more homework in (...) (20 years ago, 6-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) As long as the message is in a standardized form that can easily be understood by all OSs used by members of RTL, then this would work. Declaring Program 1 doesn't work because different OSs have different interpretations of what a program is. (...) (20 years ago, 6-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) Oh - true. I was just thinking use the "Program 1" start button on the remote. Forgot other people use other OS'. Iain (20 years ago, 6-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) Instead of using a particular program slot, just have everyone listen for a specific message at the beginning of their code. Obviously NQC supports standard RCX messages, and I know BrickOS does as well. If someone wants to be a pain and use (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) Ya, as long as we are clear what the IR message is then it won't be a problem for any of the OSs that support IR. The problem is some of them encode messages the same way the standard firmware does, while others are more raw about it. I guess (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) Lillian is not a given. We probably will be at another library. I need to firm that up soon. Calum (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) What about people who might attempt an RCX-less solution? ;) Personally I don’t see what the big deal is. If someone thinks that pressing a button on their RCX (or a battery box) will interfere with the take off, then let them come up with (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

I'm going to agree with Ivan on this one. all these other ideas re: "starting;" force people to either orientate the brick, make people use an IR message, or whatever. K.I.S.S. when someone says Go, you do what ever you need to, to start your (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts on drag racing

(...) No kidding. There's no reason to make this more complicated than it already is... (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)