 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11666
Re: Thoughts on drag racing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 02:23:42 GMT

Rob Stehlik wrote:

Instead of using a particular program slot, just have everyone listen for a
specific message at the beginning of their code. Obviously NQC supports standard
RCX messages, and I know BrickOS does as well. If someone wants to be a pain and
use some other OS for a two line program, then sucks to be them.

Ya, as long as we are clear what the IR message is then it won't be a
problem for any of the OSs that support IR.  The problem is some of them
encode messages the same way the standard firmware does, while others
are more raw about it.

I guess the best way would be to say, we are going to press this button
on the RCX remote.  That way any one can take a remote, press that
button and have their RCX print out the message for them.

If you are using a non standard OS then you have a little extra work,
but that's what you get for using a non standard OS.  If you're using
the standard firmware then it should be easy to watch for a particular
button press on the remote.

However we would also have to standardize the direction the RCX faces
with respect to the remote giving the signal.  If the Remote is down by
the finish line, and the RCXs are facing the other direction, it's
possible very little will happen.  Especially if we are in a certain
library that shall remain Lillian H. Smith.

Derek