 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11665
Re: Thoughts on drag racing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 00:42:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik wrote:

Starting: I am wondering about starting methods. How are we going to ensure the
drag racers start at the same time? Could we send a message from a remote?

I like this idea, because it guarentees that both robots will have their
programs started at the same time.  Mandate that everyone must use a common
program slot for their running program (ie, Program 1).

Instead of using a particular program slot, just have everyone listen for a
specific message at the beginning of their code. Obviously NQC supports standard
RCX messages, and I know BrickOS does as well. If someone wants to be a pain and
use some other OS for a two line program, then sucks to be them.

Stopping: Isn't the 45cm stopping distance a bit excessive?

Did you ask for more homework in school?  :)

I still think its too long. Oh well. I guess that means I just have to make my
drag racer faster :)

Competition: Since this is so easy, we will probably get 90 entries. Every kid
with an RCX will show up. Maybe there should be a qualifying round? A minimum
speed? Minimum height requirement? (joking)

I'm of the thinking that races will happen *very* quickly - there isn't really
any setup time involved (drop your robot behind the starting line and align it).
Someone will have to get clever about scoring though.  I like your idea of
having a program which logs the time for each robot.

Yeah, with timing the races then we wouldn't have to match everyone up against
eachother. If we went purely with time trials, each person could just run a
couple of times throughout the day, and we take their fastest time. At the end
of the day everyones best time is recorded and the winner gets... nothing.

Why not have it filter a glass of water while on its way to the finish line? :)

Lets not discuss water filtration any more than we have to.

But seriously, do you really think this is enough of an event? Maybe we should
make it an informal thing at Chris's shop? (speaking of which, I'm game for
another round of battlebots since I just picked up an RC racer)

Lets schedule drag racers soon so people don't get bored of the idea.

Rob