 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11604
Re: THe storekeep even sorta looks like Calum...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:17:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Aaaahhhh yes, the Amiga.  What a great machine for its day.  Calum did you ever
get software off the Fish disks?
I did a fractal program called Mandelvroom and gave away the source to the
cause.

Come to think of it, I probably did try that once.   Those screens look awfully familiar!

The issue was speed:  I initially only had an A2000HD with a "modified" CPU (a
MC68010L10).  This was the Amiga equivalent of putting a coffee can muffler on
your lowered Civic.  I think it was only 30% faster than an average Amiga, same
clock.

This made fractals or 3D rendering VERY VERY slow.

This is because the 68010 had no floating point hardware.  That is why I wrote
Mandelvroom to use fixed point arithmetic.  Instead of bits having values like
1, 2, 4, 8.....  I made them have values like 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16......
Written in assembly of course.  Much faster... thus the name MandelVroom.  Since
it was only a 2D renderer it could get you fractals pretty fast.

The real question is, did you have a half-bright Denise chip?

Sadly, yes.  And on that machine, a 1MB Super Fat Agnus.  If you thought Lego
fans were obscure (OMG!  A 1987 Guarded Castle Inn with a Meal Serving Wench
MISB from Bavaria!) Amiga fans...whooeee.

Yup.  The developers were no less obscure!

Same as it ever was...

Calum

Kevin