 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1142
Re: robots, not trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 13:42:35 GMT

Can I start a robot by flipping a polarity
switch? Or do I have to press 'run' on the RCX?

Any RCX needs the run switch pressed.  either by pressing the green
button on the unit itself, OR by sending it the IR command for run.
(like the remote)

As Calum typed, and I just tried, have the second rcx run in a loop of
nothing, UNTIL a sensor value.  you can do this a number of ways.

putting a polarity switch by itself is pointless, because as the name
implies, it is a polarity switch,  contacts never close.  from what I
can figure, the polarity "switch" works by having an inner drum of
crisscrossing points rotate and brush against either side of the switch.

BUT, if you put any kind of load on one end of the polarity switch, then
when you rotate the switch, the rcx will see the load.

THEN again, if you are going to do this, why not just use an RCX sensor
in the first place.  OR  if you want one RCX to start a second RCX, you
could use the IR.   The problem with this is that there MIGHT be IR
interference from other bricks in the room.

BTW  I just put a polarity switch on an input set to percent in light
mode.

a "switch" by itself shows up as 27.  if you turn the switch it flashed
up or down 1 percent.   when I put a load of a light, the percent
changed by 2.

if you are out of sensor inputs, and you want a physical switch to make
the robot go, you can:

have your robot always running, BUT keep the drive wheels suspended
with  some motorized car jack. then when the switch is closed, the car
jack lowers, and the drive wheels pull the robot away.

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm