 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10844
Re: Ahem, onwards to rtl16, thank you
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:34:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ralph Hempel wrote:

The machine made spring-rings - the little clasps on gold chains that
are so damned hard to open and close, and it made them fully automatically
on demand.

In other words. This thing was all cam driven, with 4 axles going all round
the machine and something like 140 cams. There was a nice 6, or was it 8 position
geneva mechanism for holding the spring ring tube as the little ring was
soldered on, the spring was inserted, and the plunger inserted after.

It was unbe;lievably complicated, and when it worked, it crancked out 30 to
40 spring rings a minute, dpending on moon phase.

Man, THAT was toolmking.

: shiver :

The thought of having to machine parts that are small enough to handle THOSE
parts make me want to hide.  That's frightening.

SO what do you expect from German toolmakers. If you're asking them to change their
machine, you are doing something wrong! :-)

I expect their damn sales team to send me the right .DXF drawing when I ask for
an 85VHRB with LIGHT CURTAIN operator guarding, not a stupid safety gate!!!

This causes me unbeliveable stress.

So, no one wants to do dragsters.  Damn.  :(  I thought that was something I
might actually be able to handle.

    Iain