 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10349
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto15 Marble Sorting Ruleset Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 04:36:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
Calum Tsang wrote:
-There are 29 of each colour.   How many will be used is up to DaveK.
Colour readings from rtl3 are posted again for your convenience.

Thanks for the colour readings.

Are there colour readings for the black and white corners and the
playfield as well...specifically, can the white and black marbles be
differentiated from the playfield?  BTW, what is the playfield colour -
I'm trying to mock this up at home...

The playfield is still unpainted at this point, IIRC.  DaveK will need to go and paint it up.   Say...THIS WEEKEND.  Assuming the path of least resistance, I'm going to guess the main playfield is not going to be painted at all, just the corners.

I can't remember from rtlToronto3 if one could differentiate the floor from a
sensed marble.  I think you could.

But if you can't get that difference, just write a small routine to check every
few seconds for the floor colour.  Assuming your light sensor is just tall
enough to check marbles, you can make the assumption that the time of having a
marble under you is relatively infrequent, so you're really checking the floor
most of the time.

Guys, does anyone remember from the early contests if you could sense the floor
from the corner colour?  JeffE?  Chris?  Victor?!

I'm still working on mine but am (severely) limited by only having the
two motors and two switches from the RIS...I'm hoping to compensate by
brilliant design but being frustrated by the limitations of Lego
dimensions (grr).

I'm hoping to have a front and rear bumper picked up by the same touch
sensor.  I've got a prototype that uses a sliding linkage to convert
linear to rotational, and driving an elastic return to centre lift arm
off that, but the sensor tolerances are way too touchy.  Anyone ever
mechaincally couple two bumpers to one input switch?  Links appreciated.

Just to offer you some encouragement-(I'm sure some of the other guys will offer
some links) The best builders in the group are the ones with the smallest
collections.  Guys like Iain Hendry, Rob Stehlik etc, only have a few sets, yet
consistently come up with some of the most amazing designs.  So don't be
discouraged by the fact you might not have everything you'd want.  Also look at
some of the early rtlToronto3-6 contest photos for some ideas.  Marble sorting
can easily be done in two motors, two touch, one light.  That and TRU had motors
on sale recently anyways.

Calum