 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 619
Re: brick/plate height ruler...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:25:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Iain Hendry writes:
"David K. Z. Harris" <frenezulo@baylug.org> wrote in message

  I've managed to update my Spine Car page with some in-progress images,
as well as a book reference for Intermodal Freight modeling. If you're
interested, please check my page.

    http://www.baylug.org/zonker/ZContCar.html

David,

Your spine car is beautiful! I really like unusual train configurations
(such as shared wheelsets). The detail and realism is striking!!

I am also really intrigued by your height gauge! That is a really clever
idea.

  I originally made it to measure stripe on various "Daylight"-type
passenger coaches, so I could easily tell where the stripes were, but
I could also tell the top and bottom, level of the windows, etc. without
worrying about the distance between camera and subject.

  I then saw other models (like the other VIA trains at SuperTrain 2001),
and I was worried my stripes might not match. As it turned out, we both
used similar designs for the car floor, so the stripes matched just fine.
Being 1 plate off could have been OK< but two plates off would have looked
kind of odd.

  I also learned that some colors blend too easily in the photos, so I
picked different colored plates for each flank of the ruler. The bricks
in the center make it easier to count by bricks first, rather than just
counting the plates.

  I'd like to see a few more folks try a photo with this type of visual
aid when vertical matching of stripes may be desireable. (Think about the
25-car MetroLiner, with many custom cars, loaned by a small group of folks,
and all of the stripes matching perfectly! :-)

       -Z-