 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 142
Re: Train show details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 22:16:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
...There are 2 of the container depots 4555 in place...

You're right, monorail above the container depot would look strange.

Do you want to run the monorail elevated all the way?

Yes - Those incline pieces are very non-train-like.

James wrote:
The problem with the right side of the layout is mostly that the front
of the grain elevator opens, and needs swing room.  So there's precious
little space between the elevator and the bridge for permanent structures.
(that, and the loading cranes...)

One thing you could do, which might draw some gawkers hoping for a crash,
is just run the monorail track off into space, with a switch at the end. ;)

That's not a bad idea actually - I could even put an incline piece just
before the end so it would look like a "jump".  Evil Keviel monorail.  :-)

Note:  All my descriptions of left/right/top/bottom have been based on the
TD layout diagram that Michel sent me.  You two seem to be "looking" at
the layout from what is the right of the diagram.  In the diagram, the
mountain is in the top-right corner, the station is on the left side, and
the containers are at the top.  With that frame of reference...

I see two downsides to a point-to-point layout.  Most basically, where is
the second point?  If the station is one point, and the container area at
the top is to be avoided, where would the passenger's go?  The mountain
logging camp?  I suppose that might work, but a main aspect of this show
for me is to unveil my new bridge design.  If I don't use the top part of
the layout where the water is, what would my bridge go over?

I envision an elevated platform at the station for the monorail.  Look
at set 7822, and then replace the lower platform opposite the station
building with monorail support pillars, and have the elevated platform
meet with the monorail train instead of just being used for walking over
the train/track to the secondary platform.  There's eight studs between
the two tracks (of the outer loop) on the left of the layout, right?
That's double the width of a monorail tower base, and I have the 2150
station, so I can make the elevated platform a perfect fit.  As for color
matching, are both stations 4554s, or is one a 2150?  Just LMK which
end (upper left or lower left) of the stations a red elevated platform for
a monorail would look best on.  Alternately, if someone with a good supply
of grey 2x6 plates and red 1x2 inverse slopes and red 1x4x2 fence pieces
wants to make more "true-to-7822" platform, by all means do so.  Just
check with me to make sure the height is right, or the LEGO people will
have a hard time getting on/off the monorail...  :-)

Given the constrains at the top of the layout, I'm thinking the best
thing for me to do is run a loop all around the layout, just inside the
outer train loop, except for the top, where it would run just outside
the outer loop.  By keeping the monorail inside on three of the four
sides, table edges shouldn't be a problem.  (The monorail supports can
even be joined with plates to the track on the top for extra strength.)
I'll mail the proposed layout diagram to the NALug list for Michel
(and anyone else) to have a look at and comment on.

By the way, does anyone have a bunch of black 2x2s I can borrow (or
trade you something for)?  I bought all Dan Siskind's black bricks, but
they won't get here until after the show, and I don't think I have enough
in my collection as it stands now.  If I have to, I'll use other colors,
but I'd like to use black as much as I can for the best appearance.

SRC